Cake as Canvas is one of our talented local bakers in the Adore family. Huma, the owner, was generous enough to share four of her at home dessert recipes complete with “how to” videos with us here at Adore. Why not try something new, that is also delicious!
½ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
1 cup semolina
1 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
¾ cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
Almonds to decorate
For the syrup
⅓ cup sugar
⅔ cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. For the syrup place the sugar water and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Bring it to boil, then
simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the syrup is slightly thickened. Let it cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Melt butter in a pan and then add the sugar, flour, or
Semolina, coconut milk, baking powder and vanilla extract into the melted butter. Mix
3. Pour the cake mixture into a baking pan and bake for about 30 to 45 minutes until the top
4. Cut the cake into diamond shapes. Pour the cold syrup on it and decorate with almonds in
the center of the time.
One cup or 8 ounces of semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate
3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
1. Place chocolate in a dry bowl.
2. Heat cream until it is just about to boil.
3. Once the cream is heated, pour over the chocolate.
4. Let it sit for a couple of minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
5. Stir the mixture until combined.
Note: chocolate ganache can stay in the refrigerator for a week or you can freeze it for 3 weeks.
2 cups milk
4 oz sugar
3 Tbsp corn starch
Pinch of salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 oz butter
1. Scald the milk with half of the sugar.
2. Whisk the cornstarch, the rest of the sugar and salt in a bowl to remove any lumps.
3. Gradually add the eggs to the dry ingredients and whisk until you see the whisk leaves
behind a ribbon trail.
4. Slowly pour 1/3 of the scalded milk into the egg mixture in a slow stream and keep
5. Pour this warm egg mixture back into the rest of the milk.
6. Switch to a wooden spoon and keep stirring this mixture on low heat until you start
seeing bubbles and the mixture thickening. You want to boil for at least a minute and a
half to remove the starchy taste.
7. Stir in the vanilla and the butter and put a clean wrap over the pastry cream. Poke a
few holes. You can leave it out until it’s lukewarm and then put in the fridge. Alternatively
you can put the mixture on an ice bath to cool.
Note: When making pastry cream avoid using aluminum as it turns the pastry cream green because of the reaction with the cream. Also, don’t cook the cream over very high heat because it can curdle.
2 stick of butter
1 2⁄3 cups sugar
1 1⁄4 kosher salt
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp baking powder
2 1⁄3 cups all purpose flour
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 tsp turmeric powder
Preheat oven at 375 degrees
1. Add butter sugar and salt to a mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat for a few minutes
until fluffy. Scrape down the bowl.
2. Add eggs and vanilla, beat mixture scraping down the sides until nice and fluffy.
3. Add the turmeric and baking powder and mix on low. Add the flour until completely
combined. Run the spatula to make sure it’s fully combined.
4. Put dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. You can use this time to make the sugar
crust mixture. Mix the turmeric and sugar and stir.
5. Scoop tablespoon amounts of dough, roll them into balls and roll each ball into the
sugar. Place onto baking trays covered with parchment paper. No need to flatten the dough.
6. Bake for 9-11 minutes until puffy and the edges begins to brown. They will be chewy in
the center and crispy on the edges.
BIG thank you to Huma of Cake as Canvas for sharing these at home dessert recipes for us to try. Her talent and generosity is appreciated and we are humbled and honored to share.
|| Baker: Cake as Canvas ||
Inspired by Huma’s at home dessert recipes? Check out more of her talented work: Cake as Canvas: Edible Art
More inspiration: The Hunter / Gather Dinner and Microwedding Inspiration; Bella Bridesmaids Allentown Showcases Their Top Three Jenny Yoo Styles; How to Choose the Perfect Bridesmaid Dresses; Equestrian Wedding Inspiration.